Wednesday 11 December 2013

Mythologies

(December 2013)

What with the bear as a mascot and the droll spaghetti, our studio anthropologists will have no trouble in postulating an Orient which is exotic in form, while being in reality profoundly similar to the Occident, at least the Occident of spiritualist thought.
  

Maybe it’s just that I’ve gone and re-immersed myself a little too fully into academia, but I genuinely laughed out loud at some of this. Not that quote, obviously (though ‘droll spaghetti’ can’t but raise a wry grin), but yeah, genuinely funny. I know I usually don’t talk about the quality of translations, but it’s worth noting that, just from the quality of the English on show here, the translators must have been some pretty hot shit (I believe that’s the technical term).

Short, accessible (or as accessible as any of this stuff is likely to get), insightful, and funny. Why did no one tell me about this sooner?


No comments:

Post a Comment